This summer may look a little different than past summers: Summer activities during COVID-19 aren’t quite the same as your traditional summer activities. As we continue social distancing and begin slowly reopening in the wake of the coronavirus epidemic, some summer traditions—summer camps, outdoor concerts, big fireworks displays, summer vacations—may be curtailed for everyone’s safety.
But that doesn’t mean summer 2020 has to be a bummer. Don’t focus on all the summer activities that have been canceled or put on the unsafe list—instead, think about the positive, and all the wonderful things you can still do at home or while social distancing this summer.
If you’re looking for fun things to do in the summer at home—or simply want to focus on the simple pleasures of the season—try some of these stellar summer activities and staycation ideas that are just as wonderful as your traditional summer vacation plans.
- Make your own ice cream
- Make s’mores
- Have a water balloon fight
- Go stargazing
- Nap in a hammock
- Have a barbecue
- Seek out a drive-in movie (or make your own)
- Have a backyard or indoor scavenger hunt
- Grow a little garden
- Create a sidewalk chalk art gallery
- Finish the perfect summer read
- Go for a socially distanced hike
- Picnic in your backyard—or your living room
- Visit an outdoor farmer’s market
- Make massive ice cream sundaes
- Master something new—a new dance step, a new hobby, or a new cooking technique
- Kayak, canoe, or paddleboard
- Give yourself a fun pedicure (rainbow toes, anyone?)
- Go for a scenic drive
- Make your own pesto
- Go to the beach—six feet away from other beachgoers
- Go fishing
- Run a virtual 5K
Whatever you do this summer, please have fun and stay safe!